Enjoy the avocado toast that will make your summer dreams come true, topped with pesto and tomatoes! This version of avocado toast is on another level. This incredibly tasty breakfast or snack celebrates the best of summer with just 15 minutes and only ten ingredients. We’ll show you how to make it!
How to Make Pesto Avocado Toast
This avocado toast is not only delicious, but it’s also the next level! It involves:
- Your favorite bread
- Smashed avocado
- Basil pesto
- Sliced tomato
- Add a pinch of red pepper and sea salt.
Let’s start with the bread. New Cascadia Farmers Sandwich Bread, for example, is a great gluten-free, vegan alternative. We like to toast it twice for an extra crispy crust (anyone else?) ).
If you want to get the best perfect Avocados, we recommend that you buy them at their almost ripe stage and, if possible, during the peak season (spring or summer). You want them to be soft but not too weak. Otherwise, you will get brown spots on the skin.
It’s best to leave avocados to ripen for a few days at room temperature, then move them into the fridge to keep them fresh for several more days.
The pesto. This slightly modified nut-free version is based on our Easy Vegan pesto. It keeps only the essentials but somehow manages to be even more delicious.
We tried putting pesto directly on the avocado and also on the top of the bread. We prefer to put the avocado layer between the pesto and the bread because it prevents the bread from becoming soggy.
Then we finish with tomato to give it a natural sweetness and a freshness that goes perfectly with the avocado’s richness. A pinch of salt brings out the flavor in the tomato. A bit of red chili flakes gives this avocado toast a mild heat that makes you want to eat it every day. This is a must-try, my friends!
- The recipe calls for 2 cups of tightly packed fresh basil (large buds and stems removed)
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- Lemon juice, 1 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Add more salt to taste.
- Extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp
- Add more water as necessary (or substitute additional olive oil).
- We like New Cascadia Farmhouse.
- Sliced avocado (ripe or green), 1/4 to 1/3 of a large avocado
- 2 Tbsp Basil Pesto (ingredients above)
- Tomatoes (heirlooms for the best taste or cherry tomatoes).
- Sea salt, one pinch
- Red pepper flakes one pinch
- PESTO: Add the garlic, basil, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast to a small mixer. Blend/mix until a paste is formed.
- Add olive oil little by little (if possible, stream it in as the machine is running) and scrape sides when needed. Add water little by little until you reach the desired consistency — a loose sauce that is scoopable but not too watery or thin.
- AVOCADO TOAST – Toast the bread in a toaster or an oven until it is golden brown. Use a fork and smash the avocado slices on top. Add two tablespoons of pesto per slice of bread and spread with a spoon or fork. Add the sliced tomato and sprinkle with sea salt, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of each. Enjoy right away!
- Pesto can also be prepared in advance to use for avocado toast during the week. You can store leftover pesto for up to a week in a tightly sealed container. Pour the pesto into an ice-cube tray and freeze. Store for up to a month. Then, let the ice cubes thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature.