Prepare yourself for summer in a bowl. Fresh and juicy, this watermelon salad has a smattering of flavors thanks to the sweet watermelon and crisp cucumber. It also features zingy onions and a hint of spicy jalapenos. The salty vegan dressing and zesty lime feta perfectly balance the salad. We’re ready to sign up!?
You won’t want this version of the classic combo to pass you by! This is perfect for any summer event, and only ten ingredients and 20 minutes are required. We’ll show you how to do it!
Watermelon Salad: Its Origins
Watermelon is a favorite around here. (Exhibits A, B, C, and D) It was time to find out where this delicious, refreshing fruit originated. Turns out that watermelon is a 5,000-year-old fruit. It has been grown in the Nile Valley, Libya, India, Chi,na, Florida, and Hawaii.
When did the watermelon and feta salad become famous? It wasn’t easy to find an origin story. However, it appears that this is a common dish in many Mediterranean nations.
How to make Watermelon Salad
This plant-based version of the classic watermelon and feta salad is just like our other favorite recipes. Full of flavor, and Quick and Easy.
Start by whisking together a simple salad of olive oil with lime juice, zest, maple syrup, salt, and lime juice.
Add the watermelon, onion, cucumber, and jalapeno into a bowl.
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3 Tbsp of lime juice (3 Tbsp from a large, juicy lime)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Maple Syrup
- 5 cups of watermelon cubes, 1 inch in size
- If using regular cucumber, peel it in stripes to create alternating green and white lines.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Red Onion
- Fresh mint leaves roughly chopped to 1/4 cup
- Use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes instead.
- Pepitas or pistachios roughly chopped into 1/4 cup
- Use the Follow Your Heart brand for the vegan feta crumbles.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil with the lime juice, zest, and salt.
- Add the watermelon to a large bowl. Also, add the cucumber, red onions, mint, and jalapeno. Pour the dressing on top and toss the salad to coat. Toss in pepitas or pistachios and vegan feta if using (avoid oversteering). Add more vegan feta or salt if needed. You can also add jalapeno to increase heat or lime juice to reduce acidity. Mint is a great freshener.
- Mint discolors and becomes soggy when leftovers. Not suitable for freezing.